Monday, September 7, 2009

Labor Day Weekend

I had one of the most amazing Labor Day weekend vacations I've had in a long long time! I completed my first 1/2 marathon! I ran (well jogged) in the Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon in VA Beach. That's 13.1 miles folks. No walking! It's such an amazing feeling I cannot tell you. I have so much more appreciation for running, and am looking forward to more races in the future. I'm not ready for a full marathon yet - it's just not a distance you take lightly - but one day!

Honestly, one of the reasons as my motivation to run and stay fit is so I can eat the things I enjoy. And unfortunately I LOVE sweets! Cupcakes, cookies, brownies... love them! Aaron and I were craving some homemade rice crispy treats when we got home tonight. I made half the recipe regular, then I kicked up the 2nd half of the batch with some Mexican chocolate! I'm kinda obsessed with it right now you could say. I was quite surprised they came out really good! They're quite sweet and you can really taste the cinnamon. The sugar crystals give it a bite.
Mexican Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats
(This is the mini recipe I kinda of came up with on the spot - you can modify the measurements to fit your needs)
Ingredients:
-2 tbls unsalted butter
-1/2 bag of mini marshmellows
-1/2 a bar of Ibarra Mexican Chocolate
-A few dashes of vanilla extract
-2 1/4 cups rice crispies cereal
Directions:
1. Chop up the chocolate and set aside
2. Melt the butter
3. Add marshmellows, mix with the butter
3. Then add the chocolate and a few dashes of vanilla.
4. Stir until melted and incorporated - I like a few marshmellow chunks
5. Remove from heat and add the rice crispies. Stir until rice crispies are coated with marshmellow mixture.
6. Transfer to a small pan - I used a 6x9in pan. Use wax paper to press down and mold into pan. Let cool.
7. EAT
*Some notes: I like my rice crispies chewy - so add more and less cereal depending on your taste :)

No comments:

Post a Comment