Thursday, July 1, 2010

pancakes!


I [ heart ] breakfast! I eat it every morning. Today I made these summery lemon blueberry pancakes for breakfast. Even though it's not a traditional cake, it has cake in the name and I don't discriminate here! haha... who knows I may even put a muffin on this blog ;-)

I used this basic recipe and kicked it up a notch. These pancakes are pretty simple and I use it often. The texture reminds me of a Bisquick pancake, but I grew up on Bisquick so I like them and you can kind of mess around with the recipe and add things in.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon white sugar
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1 egg
  • 3 tablespoons butter, melted
  • Dash of vanilla
  • Mix ins: chocolate chips, bananas, peanut butter chips, nutella... the list goes on. Today I added fresh lemon zest, lemon juice and fresh blueberries.
Directions
  1. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth. Then add your mix in if you want.
  2. Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake (I like mini pancakes so I use a 1/8 cup for each). Brown on both sides and serve hot.
  3. Garnish with a little powdered sugar and lemon rind zest.
Not all my pancakes are perfect and the first one always messes up! I also use a gas stove so it's hard to get the flame the right temp on the pan, but the key is getting it to that perfect temperature and when you see air bubbles form and the sides begin to crust a bit - it's time to flip! I've also had times when it looks perfect and the middle is all gooey :( So annoying.... It just takes practice I guess.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment